Hiram Ferris (1792-1876) was the 4th great-grandson of Jeffrey Ferris, through his son, Joseph. Hiram was a vigorous man, producing at least 20 children with the help of three wives. Fifteen of those children were sons. And all had names that began with “Ed.” Seriously.
Notice that I have not yet caught up with the final number of Hiram’s children, based on the encyclopedia entry.
- Edgar Daniel Ferris (1821-1875)
- Edwin Ruthvan Ferris (1822-1890)
- Edrick Adams Ferris (1824- )
- Edmund William Ferris (1826-1902) CO. D., 34th N.Y. INF.
- Edward Hiram Ferris (1826- )
- Edson Elliot Ferris (1830- )
- Edred Lafayette Ferris (1836-1836)
- Edward Franklin Ferris (1838-1908) Lieutenant Colonel with 14th Wisconsin Inf Regt
- Edley Byron Ferris (1840-1864) KIA Civil War
- Ednoy Chilton Ferris (1841-1843)
- Edred Polk Ferris (1844-1847)
- Edville George Ferris (1848-1848)
- Edwy Myron Ferris (1851-1941)
- Edward George Ferris (1853-1918) Lieut 186 NY Vol Inf
- Edenough Richard Ferris (1855- )
Second wife Cynthia Adams:
Third Wife Nancy Chilton:
Despite the availability of female names beginning with “Ed”, like Edwina, none of Hiram’s daughters had such a name.
It remains a bit of a mystery why Hiram chose to name his sons this way. As I research the family, I do see that several chose to go by their middle names after they became adults.